Free mutliformat compressor for Mac OS X
- Easy to use
- Extracts from a wide range of formats
- Protect archives with passwords
- Integration with context menu
- No previews of files possible
- Context menu access only works in OS X
Looking for a simple and free compressor and decompression tool for your Mac? If so, keka could be your answer.
keka supports compression to 7z, Zip, Tar, Gzip and Bzip2 and it can extract from RAR, 7z, Lzma, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, ISO, EXE, CAB, PAX, and ACE (PPC). Accessibility is keka's strong point - just drag and drop files into the keka Dock icon and you can decompress or compress instantly.
Unfortunately, you can't preview the contents of archives although you can split archives. Although the drag and drop function is handy, it would also be nice to be able to access it from the context menu. This feature has been added to Snow Leopard however although you need to download it separately here. Note this add-on won't work for anything OS X 10.5 and lower.
Quick, fast and easy to use, Keka is an excellent free archiver for Macs.
- Keka is now on the App Store for a few bucks This version is compatible with App Store compatible systems, aka Mac OS X 10.6.x and higher This version has no improvements, just changes on the default options so it can be submitted to the App Store. The new version will be 0.1.5 or 1.0 that will be both available on the web (free as always) and on the App Store
Keka supports the following formats
Compress: 7Z, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2
Decompress:: RAR, 7Z, LZMA, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, ISO, EXE, CAB, PAX, ACE (PPC)